10 Black-Owned Kids’ Brands to Support Now
There’s plenty we can do to combat systemic racism. One way is to make sure your kid sees Black representation inside and outside their toy box. This list rounds up some of our favorite Black-owned brands that kids will love. From toys to snacks, prioritize diversity and inclusivity.
- Brown Toy Box: This subscription box curates culturally diverse STEAM toys and books. Each monthly box includes a book about a Black innovator, a hands-on activity, and a toy. The Brown Toy Box shop also sells individual toys and games.
- Hortiki Plants: While Hortiki Plants offers a variety of eco-friendly gardening kits, we think the Kids Gardening Kit is really something. This toolbox for budding green thumbs is stuffed with STEAM activities and games—not to mention seeds and soil that come in biodegradable containers.
- HarperIman Dolls: This brand is co-founded by a mother and daughter team. Each handmade doll is made from linen materials and each doll’s outfit is individually made. They sell out often, so purchase when you can!
BOOKS + Journals
- Stacey M. Design Guided Journals: These inclusive, hand-illustrated “super power” themed journals empower kids to believe in themselves and celebrate what makes them unique! Each journal promotes positivity, gratitude, and goal-setting.
- Brave and Kind Bookshop: A bookstore made for kids? Yup! This neighborhood indie bookstore has a wonderful mix of diverse books, games, and stationery kids will love. They also offer book bundles and subscriptions.
- Just Like Me Book Box: This monthly book subscription box shares children’s books featuring characters of color as well as activities to inspire independence and creativity. Each title is carefully curated and promotes self-discovery and self-love. Books also become more advanced as your kid gets older.
CLOTHES + FURNITURE
- Le Petit Organic: Chic, minimal, and eco-friendly. Le Petit Organic curates clothes and accessories that are sustainable, handmade, and vintage. Also, how adorable is this cotton dress?
- Goodee: Founded by two designers that happen to be twin brothers, Goodee creates and vets artisan-made home goods that make a sustainable impact on the world—socially or environmentally. Each item is thoughtfully designed, transparently sourced, ethically made, and would look awesome in any kid’s room.
- Pipsnacks: Want to snack on one of Oprah’s favorite popcorn brands? Then check out Pipsnacks’ Pipcorn. They also have cheese balls, corn dippers, and snack crackers made from leftover corn flour used in their cheese balls. Upcycling for the win!
- Partake cookies: One mom was on the mission to find allergy-free cookies for her daughter. When she couldn’t find any, she created them herself. These cookies are gluten-free, vegan, and don’t contain any nuts, eggs, dairy, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives. With cookie offerings ranging from classic chocolate chip to delicious carrot cake, this brand is for all tastebuds.