Books That Inspire Bravery: Black History Books for Kids
by Melanie Gasmen-Fleck
February is Black History Month, just one of the many opportunities to teach kids about Black trailblazers and the world-changing achievements of African Americans. In honor of this month, we rounded up stories and picture books about Black pioneers who overcame adversity with boundless courage.
Our list features the stories of both iconic and lesser-known figures. From influential jazz musician Sonny Rollins to our country’s first-ever female Vice President, Kamala Harris, their rich biographies will inspire kids year-round.
Don't forget to check in with your local Black owned bookstore and see if they carry the title you are looking for!
1. Black Heroes by Arlisha Norwood
2. Ella Fitzgerald by Andrea Pinkney
3. Little Legends: Exceptional Men in Black History by Vashti Harrison
4. 28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World by Charles R. Smith Jr.
5. Just a Lucky So and So by Lesa Cline-Ransome
6. Maya Angelou by Danielle Jawando
7. The Oldest Student by Rita Lorraine Hubbard
8. This is Your Time by Ruby Bridges
9. The Power of Her Pen by Lesa Cline-Ransome
10. Kamala Harris: Rooted in Justice by Nikki Grimes
11. Sonny's Bridge by Barry Wittenstein
12. A Voice Named Aretha by Katheryn Russell-Brown